Aug 8 2017
I’m planning to upgrade my current RX satellite setup to include a portable equipment for making satellite QSOs while going on road trip. Please feel free to comment – anything that should be changed or added? One very good link/article about a portable setup is this one from Ivo Klinkert, PA1IVO.
- Yeasu FT-817ND
- Bluetooth CAT interface to be able to control the radio from PC or Android
Why the FT-817? It seems to be the only all-mode transceiver that you could use and carry a couple of hours without a big and heavy battery. My plans are to control the frequency direct via the radio or via an Android app or via PC (see receiver). If I skip the receiver part (see below) I can run semi-duplex.
Same useful add-ons for the FT-817 that I would like to have:
- Yeasu FT-817ND (semi-duplex mode)
- Laptop with Airspy Mini and SDR-Console v3 software. I have tried a Windows Tablet (Lenovo Miix, see below) and I think it was no option compared with an regular laptop.
Lenovo Miix 320 Windows 10 tablet. Tested with RTL-SDR v3. Have not got it to work with Airspy mini.
CHUWI Hi12 Tablet or Hi10 Plus tablet, both Windows 10 with good battery life. Hi10 has only USB-C so an adapter is needed but is smaller then the Hi12.
Why SDR and Windows laptop as receiver? Because I love the SDR functions, I can listen with full duplex, use the doppler correction and satellite function in SDR Console V3. But, there seems to be a lot to carry around. Shame the FT-817 is not full duplex…
- DIY Arrrow-style hand-held yagi with both VHF and UHF. I guess I will use the WA5VJB design as I have built these antenna before. Or I just buy one new Arrow… Maybe try one of the Moxon designs.
- Duplex filter if needed.
DIY EFLW (End Feed Long WIre) dipole via a 9:1 UNUN, aprox. 16,5 meter long. Will need an ATU for this antenna.I haved tried a homemade EFHW without success and will in the future maybe try one of the SOTA Beams antenna designs.
And a simple FM sat setup…
- My current Baofeng UV-5R
- DIY Arrrow-style hand-held yagi
- A duplex filter as the UV-5R only have one antenna jack.