The Rot2Prog rotor controller from AlfaSpid has four simple relays that several users has reported to be broken. This has also happened to me – I have a relay that has not function very well for several years. So I decided to try to replaced it.
These releay are very cheap and I found replacement at TME:
Mfr: RELPOL Original part number:
Unmount the board
First remove the top cover by removing the four screws at the side of the chassi. Then remove the two screws holding the board, see image below:
The board is built nice, with ferrite on the input and output cable to prevent RF-noice. If needed to change the board, this can be easy done.
Then desolder the faulty relay. For me, it was one of the azimut direction relay, the one to the left:
It was a pain in the *** to desolder and remove this relay! I was close to give up and nearly destroyed the board. But finally, after two hours, I did managed to remove it. I can not understand why AlfaSpid did not mount a relay socket for easy change…
Solder the new relay
This was an easy task, just solder the 8 legs:
Now connect all the cables and try it. Hopefully it will now work again!